Hello hello! Today, I have been making bases for my new miniatures (*cough* Cryx Pirate Army *cough*), and as I took some pictures I thought I’d make a little tutorial on how I went about making them!
First off, a list of
ingredients things you’re going to need:
* Bases - I am using the standard round-lipped bases that came with my minis, but you could easily adapt these methods for other bases.
* Tools - I use a GW sculpt tool, craft knife with retractable blade, superglue, some hobby clippers, and a round file.
* Epoxy putty - I use Milliput as it’s cheap and easy to find, but use whatever you can get hold of. This is the standard two-part stuff you can find in most hobby shops. You *can* use ‘official’ Green Stuff, but it’s wayyyyy more expensive.
* Odds and sods - Bits of plasticard, matchsticks, or whatever you have around to fill up the slots in the bases.
AND SO on to Part One!
First thing’s first. Get all the bases you want to use, and fill in the slots with plasticard, matchsticks (as I used), or whatever you have available. The main purpose for this is to stop the epoxy putty from squishing through the slot when you get to step two. All I did here was cut some matchsticks to size with old clippers and superglue them in. Make sure that whatever you use is nicely flush to the top of the base.
Mix up a bit of your putty (as you can see, I used the terracotta Milliput as it’s what I had spare) and squish a bit onto each base, making sure to cover the whole flat area. Luckily, these round-lipped bases have a slightly raised edge, so all I did was pushed the putty right up to the edge with my fingers. Then I flattened the putty off by wetting my craft knife a little and, with the blade right out, just sliced across the top of the base lip. A few little touch-ups were needed, but nothing too serious. Once that’s done, a quick smooth over with a wet finger finished the job.
So when I was thinking about what kind of bases I’d like for my Pirate Cryx dudes, I decided on a kind of fantasy dock-front-ish look. So some of these bases are decorated solely with flagstones, while others have been given areas of wooden boards. I tend to make these up as I go, but you could plan them out carefully (this would be more important for bases on things like Warhammer units).
Anyway, to make the flagstones on the bases, I just used the blunt edge of my craft knife and pressed into the putty to create a pattern of random stones. Mine are all different sizes, but you can make them quite uniform. To make the areas of board, I pressed in lines right across the bases to create long thin areas, and then divided these with the knife into shorter boards.
This gives you the basic shape of the boards and stones, but to messy up the lines a little I used the very point of my sculpting tool and re-traced the lines. Then I gave the bases a quick brush over with a slightly wet brush just to round the edges a little and clear off any little bits of excess putty.
Step Four - the final touches.
The final few bits were adding a woodgrain effect to the boards (I did this by snapping a lolly (popsicle?) stick in half and running the splintered end along the boards. Then I added a few cracks on some of the flagstones with the blade of the craft knife, and finally added nail holes to the boards with the point of a round file (you could use a pin or such tho.) AND there we are!
The only other thing I wanted to add was a lovely little thing I’m actually really proud of, which is that I used a push pin to make one of those… metal things that they tie boats to at harbours. I have no idea what they’re called. I took a push pin and cut the metal pin off the bottom with some old clippers, leaving the plastic part. I then made the plastic part shorter by cutting the top off, cutting down the ‘stem’, and gluing the top back on. Then it was glued onto one of the bases. Here’s a little close up of it, with some extra putty added on to look like a rope.
And that’s my tutorial over! I’m sure soon these bases will be put to use on my Pirates, because honestly I’m very impatient and even though I have a ton of other things to do, new projects just do something to my poor hobbyist’s brain!
I hope you enjoyed this tutorial (and that it made sense :P )